Here in Erminesoft, our developers are often faced with the realization of mobile push messaging. Despite the fact that this technology is very popular and easy to implement, there are a number of features that can make it annoying and unpleasant for the user. In this article, we would like to share some push communication strategy tips that will help optimize and avoid becoming a hostage of technological solutions and their implementation for app marketing specialists.
Globally, you can transform such messages to an excellent push marketing. Every successful mobile application or game must fulfill not only the direct functions but also communicate with users on a high level to make them come back to the app and shop there.
Read also: Pre-launch app marketing strategy
What is “Best Push notifications”
Push notifications are a short notice which emerges on the screen of your mobile devices or desktop and reports on important events (company news, promotions, discounts) and various updates. With effective use, these short informative messages could become the best tool for your company and business. The main purpose of push notifications is to convey information to the user about updates to websites or applications, adding new content, or for any other news. Initially, push notifications were conceived as a way to interact with mobile application users.
Push notification strategy for iOS and Android, or how does it work
Frankly speaking, for simple understanding of the push service, you do not need years of education in a technical college or tons of experience in engineering. All can be described only in a few points. Let’s find out.
1. The client opens a website or application;
2. The browser or application offers to subscribe for instant messages;
3. After the user’s consent to receive notifications, its operating system is recorded in the distribution database;
4. He receives message;
5. After that – clicks on the message and passes on a mobile marketer’s given page.
In order to build better push strategy, the client should be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from notifications and mailing, because we do not want our application to be considered annoying, right? But if we take a balanced and creative approach to triggers configuration, and think about the customer benefits – they will not unsubscribe.
In fact, the push notifications are somewhat similar to custom e-mail and SMS sending, but with some advantages:
• Push messages are displayed in a special area, or at the top of all windows, on receipt, so you can be sure, the user will not miss the alert because it will come, regardless of whether the browser or application is now open;
• For push notifications, you do not need to install third-party software or plug-ins;
• The price of such notifications is much lower than the price, for example, of SMS. Push delivery is the same as email.
So, let’s talk about push notifications marketing
The first thing you should know: push notification is an “event” calling for a special action.
Push should not become a vague text message, and should prompt the user for a specific action. So much that we are not ashamed to talk about it twice. If you want to share some news, by clicking on a message the news should appear. If you have a seasonal sale – lead to the section with discounted goods. In short, you need to make user’s life easier, do not force him to search for information, notifications were created to help you and your client build a mutually beneficial relationship.
Read also: How to market your app
Where you can use it
At this point, it would be beneficial to consider some of the push marketing strategy examples.
1. Let’s start with an easy and intuitive – promotional mailings.
Having a subscriber base, we can send the necessary info and advertising materials, as well as motivate users to make a purchase. When users open the message, they will immediately get to the page. Therefore, while reminding about your brand and promoting marketing campaigns, you increase awareness and at the same time decrease the number of steps needed to perform the desired action.
2. Another useful feature – reminders of upcoming broadcasts and webinars.
We believe that no one would argue that in this particular case push notifications would be the best practice. Why? Notifications are displayed on the screen immediately, we can tactfully remind subscribers about the broadcast beginning at the moment of its launch or shortly before.
Usual methods (such as notification by mail or by SMS) are not entirely relevant because the time of delivery can vary and be delayed if you have a large customer base. In this case, fast response time is critical, because we do not want anyone to miss even a part of the broadcast. When using pushes, we can be confident that everybody will be informed in time.
3. Articles, blogs, and notifications
Push notifications may be an additional way to notify your subscribers about new posts in the blog. Thus, it added another wide channel (e-mail and social networks).
In such information-flow, it is difficult to create a high quality and informative posting that gets even a third of users. But with pushes, everything becomes so much easier – no need to shovel tons of resources in the search of the Grail.
How to do push notifications (tips)
1. The notification must be a call to action;
2. Try to make the notification concise and attractive, it is necessary that they carry value for the customer. Don’t write long texts and complicated sentences, keep it short and informative.
3. Do not push often. In addition, iOS devices have some limitations to receive notifications. If you frequently notify your audience about something, it significantly raises the chance that each subsequent message will not be delivered.
4. Another important fact is that the best idea would be to send a message to your audience when they are most active.
5. Do not forget about the segmentation of users, to send more personalized and accurate notifications.
Instead of a conclusion
We hope that this article could help you at least a little to understand the questions about push notifications, strategies, and marketing. Yet, if you still have (or discover new) questions – feel free to ask us.
Remember: we are working for the client, and always ready to help!